MPL Redwood River Bridge


Click the photo to view the full-size version

1/21
Date Taken:
Author:
Caption:

Name MPL Redwood River Bridge
Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Bridge #59
Built By Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway
Currently Owned By Minnesota Valley Regional Railroad Authority
(Operated by Minnesota Prairie Line, Inc.)
Superstructure Contractor Phoenix Bridge Company of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Substructure Contractor Widell Company of Mankato, Minnesota
Length 169 Feet Total, 121 Foot Main Span
Width 1 Track
Height Above Ground 20 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Type Warren Through Truss and Timber Pile Trestle
Substructure Type Stone Masonry and Timber Pile
Date Built 1898
Traffic Count Less than 1 Train/Day (Estimated)
Current Status Open to Traffic
M&StL Bridge Number 59
Significance Regional Significance
Documentation Date 4/1/2018

In 1882, the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Company of Minnesota and Iowa (M&StL) constructed a 93 mile railroad between Hopkins, Minnesota and Morton, Minnesota. At the same time, the Wisconsin, Minnesota & Pacific Railway (WM&P) would construct 123 additional miles of new railroad between Morton and Watertown, South Dakota. The M&StL would reorganize as the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad in 1895. The WM&P sold the Morton to Watertown line to the M&StL in 1899. The line was used as a secondary route, connecting to the M&StL mainline at Hopkins. In 1908, an additional 228 miles would be constructed from Watertown to LeBeau, South Dakota by the Dakota, Minnesota & Pacific Railway Company. Initial work began on a bridge across the Missouri River at LeBeau, but the work was quickly abandoned. This company would be sold to the M&StL in 1912. The M&StL would be reorganized as the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway in the 1920s.

Due to a severe drought, LeBeau became a ghost town, and the line from Akaska to LeBeau was abandoned in 1924, followed by the segment from Conde to Akaska in 1940. In 1960, the M&StL was purchased by the Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW). The line was often in disrepair, especially after it was purchased by the C&NW. Further abandonments to the line came in 1969, when the segment between Revillo, South Dakota and Watertown, South Dakota was abandoned. In 1970, the line between Madison, Minnesota and Revillo would be abandoned, and the remaining line to Conde would be abandoned in 1977. The Hanley Falls to Madison segment was sold to the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1970, and the portion between Hopkins and Norwood would be abandoned in 1980. The Hopkins to Norwood segment was purchased by Carver and Hennepin Counties, and reused as the Lake Minnetonka Regional Trail. By 1982, the remaining segment between Norwood and Hanley Falls was proposed for abandonment, and the Minnesota Valley Regional Railroad Authority purchased the railroad in 1983.

In 1996, the Burlington Northern merged with Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe to form BNSF Railway, the current operators of the Hanley Falls to Madison segment. In 2002, the Minnesota Prairie Line, Inc (MPL) began operations over the Norwood to Hanley Falls segment. MPL is a subsidiary of the Twin Cities & Western Railroad, and the line continues to see upgrades to spur business development.


Located near the station of North Redwood, this unique through truss bridge carries a former Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway branch line (now Minnesota Prairie Line) across the Redwood River. The first bridge at this location likely consisted of a timber truss bridge, constructed when the line was first built. In the late 1890s, the M&StL made several improvements to this line, replacing major bridges with steel and stone and replacing several smaller timber bridges with stone culverts. The present bridge was constructed in 1898. Originally, the bridge consisted of a much longer east timber pile trestle approach, which was filled and split into two separate structures in the early 20th Century. Currently, the bridge consists of a 121-foot, 6-panel, riveted Warren through truss span, approached by four timber pile trestle spans on the east end. The bridge is set onto a stone west abutment, timber pile pier and timber pile bents. In addition, the bridge runs at a heavy skew on account of the awkward angle the railroad crosses the river at. Phoenix Bridge Company fabricated the superstructure, while the Widell Company constructed the stone abutment. It is believed that the timber components were constructed by railroad company forces. Stone for the abutment consists of a tan granite, likely quarried near Morton, Minnesota.

The truss span follows an unusual design for the era, with heavy members, riveted connections and a standard floor system. Both the endposts and top chord use heavily built-up beams, which are composed of channels connected by X-lacing on the bottom and solid plates on the top. The bottom chord is unusual, as it is composed of four L-shaped bars connected by a single layer of V-lacing in the middle. The vertical truss members use a similar design to the bottom chord, and are constructed out of four L-shaped bars with V-lacing in the middle. The compression diagonal members are constructed out of solid beams, while the tension diagonal members use heavy X-laced beams. The floor system uses standard I-beam stringers and plate girder floorbeams, which are placed at the panel points. Both the upper and lower lateral bracing are composed of solid bars, which form an "X" shape across each panel. The portal bracing uses a thin double intersection lattice beam with diagonal bars for heel bracing. In addition, the sway bracing uses a similar design. The abutment uses a standard U-shaped design, with short walls extending parallel to the railroad. The timber pier is composed of square timber blocks, which are set onto sills.

Through the second half of the 19th Century, pin-connected Pratt truss spans were the most commonly used truss design for railroad bridges. In the mid-1890s, railroads began developing riveted truss designs, which provided a stronger and more rigid design. The Warren truss design became more widely used as riveted trusses were developed. As part of the 1898 work on this line, the M&StL ordered both an innovative riveted span that was installed here, as well as a traditional Pratt design that was installed at the Minnesota River nearby. The Warren truss design was economical, strong and simple. It is unclear why the M&StL used both riveted and pin connected spans as part of the same project. The Phoenix Bridge Company fabricated several truss spans for the M&StL in the late 1890s and early 1900s, with several spans using unique or experimental designs. Since the initial construction, the bridge has seen few alterations, except for the filling of much of the east approach. Today, a short timber trestle remains to cross an overflow of the Redwood River. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair condition, with no significant deterioration seen on the truss. However, there is some deterioration on the timber components of this bridge that should be addressed to keep this bridge functional. It is likely that this bridge will be rehabilitated or repaired as funds become available. The author has ranked this bridge as being regionally significant, due to the unusual truss design.

Authors Note: Richard Sears was the station agent at North Redwood during the mid-1880s. He was selling watches from the depot, and later moved to Chicago to expand his business. Sears later joined Alvah R. Roebuck to form the Sears & Roebuck Company, which became a staple of American business. Read more here.


Citations

Build date and builder (superstructure) Phoenix Bridge Company order book; part of Phoenix Steel Company records located at the Hagley Museum
Builder (substructure) The Improvement Bulletin; December 10, 1898
Railroad History Citation ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele

Loading...