| Name | UP Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville) Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Bridge #525 |
| Built By | Iowa Central Railway |
| Currently Owned By | Union Pacific Railroad |
| Superstructure Contractor | American Bridge Company of New York |
| Substructure Contractor | Payne, Bradshaw & McMahon of Kansas City, Missouri |
| Design Engineer | Waddell & Hedrick of Kansas City, Missouri |
| Length | 1247 Feet Total, 136 Foot Main Spans |
| Width | 1 Track |
| Height Above Ground | 25 Feet (Estimated) |
| Superstructure Design | Pratt Through Truss, Steel Stringer and Timber Pile Trestle |
| Substructure Design | Stone Masonry, Concrete and Timber Pile |
| Date Built | 1901, Steel Stringer Span Added c. 1910 |
| Traffic Count | 1 Train/Day (Estimated) |
| Current Status | In Use |
| Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Bridge Number | 525 |
| Union Pacific Railroad Bridge Number | 311.41 |
| Significance | Regional Significance |
| Documentation Date | 6/30/2013; 10/8/2017 |
In 1867, the Eldora Railroad and Coal Company (ERC) began construction on a 16 mile railroad, connecting Ackley, Iowa to Eldora, Iowa, completing the line in 1868. In September, the ERC was sold to the Iowa River Railway (IRR). Also in 1868, the IRR completed an additional 27 miles of railroad between Eldora and Marshalltown, Iowa. In September 1869, the IRR was sold to the Central Railroad Company of Iowa (CRCI). Between 1870 and 1871, the CRCI completed 65 miles of new railroad, extending from Northwood, Iowa; through Mason City, Iowa, to Ackley. Also in 1871, the CRCI completed an additional 81 miles of new railroad, extending from Marshalltown to Albia, Iowa. In 1877, the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railway (BCR&N) completed 5 miles of new railroad between the State Line and Northwood. Between April 1877 and early 1878, the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway (M&StL) completed 13 miles of railroad between Albert Lea, Minnesota and the Minnesota/Iowa State Line near Northwood. The BCR&N, CRCI and M&StL all had a joint agreement, where the M&StL used the BCR&N tracks to from the State Line to Northwood to interchange with the CRCI, in exchange for the BCR&N being permitted to use the CRCI and M&StL tracks between Albert Lea and Manly, Iowa. In May 1879, the CRCI was sold to the Central Iowa Railway Company (CIRC). CIRC was sold to the Iowa Railway Company in 1888, which was sold to the Iowa Central Railway (IAC) in later that year. In early 1895, the M&StL was reorganized as the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad (M&StL). In 1902, the ICR would be leased by the M&StL, and the IAC was formally sold to the M&StL in 1912. The BCR&N agreement was maintained after the BCR&N was purchased by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway (Rock Island) in 1903. This section of line became part of the Rock Island "Spine Line", a major line connecting St. Paul, Minnesota and Kansas City, Missouri.
The M&StL was a small midwestern railroad, connecting Minneapolis, Minnesota to Peoria, Illinois. The Albert Lea to Oskaloosa, Iowa segment of this line formed a portion of the principal M&StL mainline. The M&StL mainly served as a bridge railroad, allowing eastern and western railroads to interchange while bypassing the congested terminals at Chicago. The Oskaloosa to Albia segment of this line largely allowed for a connection with the CB&Q and connected to coalfields in south central Iowa. Because the M&StL had light freight density and limited passenger service, the railroad survived on razor thin margins and often was in financial stress. The M&StL would later reorganize as the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway in approximately 1920. Through the 1930s, the railroad focused on trimming excess routes and improving the financial situation. After leaving receivership in 1943, the M&StL invested significant capital upgrading infrastructure and modernizing equipment. By the 1950s, it became clear that the M&StL would need to merge with a larger railroad to survive. In 1960, the M&StL was purchased by the Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW) during one of the first major railroad consolidations in the second half of the 20th Century. The same year, the M&StL would be abandoned between Givin and Eddyville in favor of the parallel Rock Island line.
The C&NW already operated an oversaturated railroad network in Iowa, although this line served as a north/south mainline for the C&NW. C&NW maintained this route as a secondary mainline for several years. In 1968, the C&NW purchased the Chicago Great Western Railway (CGW), which operated a parallel route between Manly and Mason City. As a result, the C&NW abandoned the line between Manly and the north side of Mason City, and sold the remaining line in Mason City to the Iowa Traction Railroad (IATR). In 1981, the C&NW purchased the Spine Line after the Rock Island went bankrupt. This line was better constructed than the former M&StL, and provided a more direct route between more major terminals. The Spine Line ran roughly parallel to this line, and at several points was within only a few miles of this line. In 1988, the C&NW petitioned to abandon the line between Hampton and Steamboat Rock, and the line was acquired by North Central Railway Association (NCRA) and operated by the Illinois Central Railroad (IC). The segment between Rockwell and Sheffield would be abandoned in 1990, and the segment between Maxon and Albia would be abandoned in 1994.
In 1995, the C&NW was purchased by Union Pacific Railroad (UP). In 2001, the segment between Hampton and Geneva was abandoned, and in 2003, a connection was constructed at Chapin so that the Sheffield to Hampton segment could be abandoned, except for a short industrial lead at Chapin. In 2006, the Iowa River Railroad was formed to purchase a segment between Steamboat Rock and Marshalltown, as well as the former NCRA line between Ackley and Steamboat Rock. In 2007, the line between Eddyville and Maxon would be abandoned. In 2012, the IARR abandoned the line between Steamboat Rock and Marshalltown. In 2019, IATR abandoned the section in Mason City sso that it could be reused as a trail. Today, UP operates the Marshalltown to Eddyville segment as the Oskaloosa Subdivision; the Albert Lea to Manly segment as part of the Albert Lea Subdivision, and the Mason City to Rockwell segment as the Rockwell Industrial Lead. IARR continues to operate a short segment between Ackley and Steamboat Rock, and UP continues to operate a short segment at Chapin. In Mason City, the line is currently being developed as the High Line Trail; while the Steamboat Rock to Marshalltown segment is currently being developed as the Iowa Rivers Edge Trail. A short trail also uses the former right-of-way between Sheffield and Chapin. The remainder of the line has been abandoned, and most has been converted to farm fields.
Located in Eddyville, this large through truss bridge carries a former Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway branch line across the Des Moines River and Muchakinock Creek. The first bridge at this location was likely a timber truss bridge, constructed when the line was first built. In 1892, an iron 97-foot riveted Pratt through truss span was installed near the south end of the bridge, and in 1894, four new wooden Howe through truss spans were installed over the main channel. In the first years of the 20th Century, the Iowa Central made significant improvements to its property, including replacing all major bridges with steel, stone and concrete structures. It was decided to reconstruct the main channel portion of the bridge with new steel and stone substructures, while retaining a timber pile trestle approach and the 97-foot truss span on the south end. Contracts for constructing a new bridge at Eddyville were awarded in 1900, with work beginning soon after. Payne, Bradshaw & McMahon; the masonry contractor completed approximately half of the substructure work before abandoning the contract. In response, a suit was filed against the contractor, and the Iowa Central used company labor to complete the substructure. In early 1901, work on erecting the steel truss spans began, and was completed by June of that year. In approximately 1910, a short steel stringer span was added in the south trestle approach to cross a gravel road. The bridge remained in this exceptionally lengthy configuration until 1988, when a majority of the trestle was filled, splitting the short truss into a separate bridge.
Currently, the bridge consists of seven 136-foot, 6-panel, riveted Pratt through truss spans, approached by a series of timber pile trestle spans and a 22-foot steel stringer span on the south end. The north abutment is constructed of concrete, while the remaining main piers are constructed from stone. The south approach is set exclusively onto timber pile substructures. The truss spans follow an unique design for the era, with extensive built-up members, a heavy floor system and traditional portal bracing. The endposts consist of built-up beams, with a solid plate on the exterior and X-lacing on the bottom. The top chord uses a similar design, with X-lacing on both sides of the member. The bottom chord also uses a built-up design, and is composed of four L-shaped bars connected by V-lacing in the center. All vertical and diagonal members consist of heavy V-laced beams. The floor system follows a heavy variation of a standard design, with two heavy plate girder stringers and plate girder floorbeams at the panel points. These floorbeams are notched on the ends, and sit above the top chord. The portal bracing consists of a standard A-frame design, which is formed out of V-laced beams. The sway bracing uses a modified A-frame design, which is formed out of light L-shaped bars. The upper lateral bracing is composed of V-laced bars, while the lower lateral bracing is composed of standard L-shaped bars. The steel stringer span follows a standard design, and consists of shallow beams and an open deck. The piers are all rounded rectangles, and are composed of Kettle River sandstone, quarried at Sandstone, Minnesota. The north abutment follows a standard M&StL design, with sloped wing walls.
Due to the significance of this crossing, famed bridge design firm Waddell & Hedrick was retained to design the structure. This firm was founded by John Alexander Low Waddell and Ira Hedrick. Waddell was particularly well known for bridge design, and was responsible for designing many significant railroad bridges in the United States. Payne, Bradshaw & McMahon completed approximately half the piers, while the north abutment was likely built by railroad company forces. American Bridge Company fabricated both the truss spans and the short beam span on the south approach. The Pratt truss pattern was arguably the most common railroad truss bridge design during the second half of the 19th Century, as it was durable, simple, economical and easy to construct. By the turn of the 20th Century, many railroads were switching to riveted Warren designs, which provided greater rigidity while maintaining a simple design and economy. The truss spans on this bridge are excellent examples of a transition-era truss span, which retained the Pratt design while integrating riveted connections. Since the initial construction, the only major alteration was the filling of the south approach. Today, the bridge is occasionally used to access an agricultural industry south of the bridge. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to good condition, with no significant deterioration noted. The author has ranked this bridge as being regionally significant, due to the size and design.
Citations
| Build date and builders (truss spans and main substructure) | The Cedar Rapids Evening Gazette; March 23, 1901 |
| Railroad History Citation | ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele |