| Name | Chicago Great Western Bridge Culvert #K136.75 Chicago Great Western Railway Bridge #F-383 |
| Built By | Chicago Great Western Railway |
| Currently Owned By | Private Owner |
| Contractor | Unknown |
| Length | 12 Feet Total |
| Width | 1 Track (48 Feet) |
| Height Above Ground | 10 Feet (Estimated) |
| Superstructure Design | Concrete Arch |
| Substructure Design | Concrete |
| Date Built | c. 1910 |
| Traffic Count | 0 Trains/Day (Bridge is Abandoned) |
| Current Status | Abandoned and Partially Collapsed |
| Chicago Great Western Railway Bridge Number | K136.75 (Old F383) |
| Chicago Great Western Bridge Culvert #K136.75 | |
| Significance | Local Significance |
| Documentation Date | 11/12/2016 |
In 1884, the Wisconsin, Iowa & Nebraska Railway (WI&N) constructed 104 miles of new railroad, extending from Waterloo, Iowa to Des Moines, Iowa. In 1886, the WI&N was sold to the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City Railway (CStP&KC). In 1887, the CStP&KC constructed 27 miles of additional railroad between Oelwein, Iowa and Waterloo; followed by 159 miles between Des Moines and St. Joseph, Missouri in 1888. In 1891, the Leavenworth & St. Joseph Railway (L&StJ) completed an additional 23 miles between St. Joseph and Beverly, Missouri. In 1892, the L&StJ was sold to the Chicago Great Western Railway (CGW), followed by the CStP&SJ in 1893. The CGW would be reorganized as the Chicago Great Western Railroad in 1909. The CGW had acquired and constructed a modest railroad network throughout Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Missouri; connecting major cities in these states. The CGW was one of the smaller railroads in the area, and was late to develop lines. As a result, the railroad never saw the fortunes of other railroads in the area. This line served as a principal mainline for the CGW, proving a connection to Kansas City via a swing bridge at Leavenworth, Kansas and trackage rights over the Missouri Pacific Railway.
In the early 20th Century, the CGW was often surviving on razor-thin profit margins. In 1940, the CGW entered bankruptcy, and was again reorganized as the Chicago Great Western Railway. At this time, the MC&FD was formally merged into the CGW. After the bankruptcy, the CGW became an innovative railroad, pioneering intermodal service and becoming one of the first railroads to completely switch to diesel locomotives. A capital improvement program was launched in 1949, which sought to rebuild and rehabilitate deteriorated infrastructure. In 1968, the CGW was purchased by the Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW). This route provided the C&NW with access to Kansas City, although deteriorated track conditions limited effective operations. After the C&NW purchased the former Rock Island "Spine Line", the former CGW route became excess. In 1983, the line between Marshalltown and Bondurant, Iowa was abandoned, followed by the entire line between Des Moines and Beverly in 1984. Another segment between Waterloo and Marshalltown was abandoned in 1988.
In 1995, C&NW was purchased by Union Pacific Railroad (UP). UP abandoned a section of the line in Des Moines in 2001. In 2003, UP sold the Oelwein to Waterloo segment to Iowa Northern Railway (IANR). Another section of the line between Bondurant and Des Moines was abandoned in 2011. In 2025, IANR was purchased by Canadian National Railway (CN). Today, CN continues to operate the Oelwein segment as the Oelwein Subdivision. Several sections of this line have been reused as parts of trails, including the Sargent Road Trail between Waterloo and Hudson; the Chichaqua Valley Trail between Baxter and the north side of Des Moines and the Great Western Trail between the south side of Des Moines and Martensdale. The remainder of the railroad has been abandoned and reverted to adjacent property owners. However, much of the original right-of-way is intact.
Located southwest of Benton, this small concrete arch bridge once carried a former Chicago Great Western Railway mainline over an unnamed creek. The first bridge at this location consisted of a timber pile trestle, constructed when the line was first built. In the early 20th Century, the CGW made significant improvements to this line, replacing many of the timber bridges with new stone, concrete and steel bridges and culverts. This bridge was constructed in approximately 1910. Currently, the bridge consists of a 12-foot concrete arch, set onto concrete substructures and constructed for one track at a width of 48 feet. The superstructure follows a standard design, with a semicircular arch and modest headwalls. The abutments also use a standard design, with sloped wing walls extending perpendicularly from the bridge. An unknown contractor constructed the bridge, likely as part of a larger contract for bridges and culverts on this line. Concrete arches were popular for railroad use, as they were durable and easy to construct. In approximately 2010, a severe flood caused the creek to reroute, eroding the approach embankment and collapsing the bridge. Today, the bridge remains mostly collapsed, with a significant amount of the south face completely destroyed. This is one of several former CGW culverts and bridges which have failed. It is unclear why former CGW structures have such a high rate of failure, although it could be due to poor workmanship, poor materials or using too small of an opening. Overall, the bridge is in extremely poor condition and is almost entirely collapsed. The author has ranked the bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
Citations
| Railroad History Citation | ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele |