UP Court Avenue Bridge (Chariton)


Click the photo to view the full-size version

1/9
Date Taken:
Author:
Caption:

Name UP Court Avenue Bridge (Chariton)
Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Bridge #235
Built By Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway
Currently Owned By Union Pacific Railroad
Contractor J.C. Dunn of Chicago, Illinois
Length 45 Feet Total, 27 Foot Main Span
Width 2 Tracks, 1 In Use
Height Above Ground 11 Feet 0 Inches
Superstructure Design Concrete Encased Beam and Concrete Slab
Substructure Design Concrete
Date Built 1912
Traffic Count 10 Trains/Day (Estimated)
Current Status In Use
Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Bridge Number 235
Union Pacific Railroad Bridge Number 23.50
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date 10/8/2017

In 1871, the Chicago & South Western Railway constructed 61 miles of new railroad between Shearwood, Missouri and Allerton, Iowa, as part of a larger project to construct a line between Leavenworth, Kansas and Washington, Iowa.  In 1873, the Des Moines, Indianola & Missouri Railroad (DMI&M) constructed a 21 mile railroad line, extending from Des Moines, Iowa south to Avon, Iowa; and west to Indianola, Iowa.  Both railroads would be sold to the Iowa Northern & Missouri Southern Railroad in 1876, which was merged into the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway in 1880.  The Rock Island had acquired and constructed a network of railroads, particularly in Iowa.  This route served as a branch line to a small town near Des Moines.  During the 1880s and 1890s, the Rock Island expanded westwards, reaching Colorado and New Mexico.  Additions to the system during the early 1900s included a number of new lines in Minnesota and northern Iowa.  In 1911, the St. Paul & Kansas City Short Line Railroad, a subsidiary of the Rock Island, constructed 65 miles between Avon, Iowa and Allerton, Iowa; connecting the two lines.  This new line was built as part of a larger project to connect the northern and southern portions of the system. To reach Kansas City, the Rock Island utilized trackage rights over the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad from Cameron Junction to Kansas City.  In 1931, the Rock Island constructed a new line from near Trenton to Birmingham, located just outside of Kansas City.  From Polo to Birmingham, the route would parallel the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad tracks, and the two railroads operated as a double track route, with separate mainlines.  In 1945, a new bridge across the Missouri River was jointly constructed by the two railroads.

The Rock Island had constructed and acquired a large railroad network throughout the Midwest.  The Kansas City-Des Moines-St. Paul route would become known as the "Spine Line".  After World War II, the Rock Island struggled to survive, proposing mergers and deferring maintenance on their routes.  The Rock Island struggled to compete with a stronger and better constructed Union Pacific system.  By 1964, the Rock Island began attempts to merge with Union Pacific, and restructure railroads west of the Mississippi River.  This merger was eventually denied, and Rock Island turned its last profit in 1965.  In the mid-1970s, the railroad was in serious decline.  The railroad received loans to attempt to fix slow orders, received new equipment and turn a profit.  By 1978, the railroad came close to profit, but creditors were lobbying for a complete shutdown of the Rock Island.  During the fall of 1979, a strike crippled the railroad, and by January of 1980, the entire system was ordered to be shut down and liquidated.  Many of the lines and equipment were scrapped.  Profitable sections of railroad were prepared for sale.  The Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW) and Soo Line both had interest in the Spine Line, with the C&NW eventually purchasing the route.  During 1982 and 1983, significant money was allocated for rebuilding the deteriorated route, and trains began using the route.  In 1995, C&NW was purchased by Union Pacific Railroad (UP).  Union Pacific continues to operate this route as the Trenton Subdivision.  CPKC now operates the former Milwaukee Road portion of this segment.


View an article discussing the construction of this line (digitized by Google)

View an article discussing the construction of this bridge (digitized by Google)

View an article discussing the construction of this line (digitized by Google)

View an article discussing the construction of this bridge (digitized by Google)

Located in Chariton, this concrete underpass carries a former Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (Rock Island) mainline over Court Avenue. When the Rock Island first constructed through Chariton, it was decided to construct grade separations at major roadway crossings to enhance safety and improve railroad operations. Three underpasses and one overpass were planned within the central area of the town. Work on the underpasses was started in the summer of 1912, and was completed in early 1913. Currently, the bridge consists of a 27-foot concrete encased beam span, approached by a 9-foot concrete slab span on either end. The entire bridge is set onto concrete substructures, and constructed for two tracks. The superstructure follows a standard design, with heavy I-beams in the main span, significant reinforcement in the approaches and no significant decorative features. In addition, a concrete walkway is present on both faces of the bridge. The substructure also follows a standard design, with the piers using concrete columns connected by a concrete beam and the abutments using slightly decorated sloped wing walls. It is believed that J.C. Dunn constructed this bridge as part of a larger contract for concrete bridges along this line. This type of bridge was popular for railroad use, particularly in urban areas. The design provided greater safety for the public underneath by offering a solid floor design, while the solid floor design also helped reduce maintenance. Since the initial construction, the bridge had seen no significant alterations, and today only one track remains in use. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to poor condition, with significant cracking and spalling throughout the structure. An identical nearby bridge over Albia Road was replaced in 2025, and it is likely that this bridge may be replaced in the coming years. The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.


Citations

Build date Engineering Record; November 30, 1912
Builder The Railway and Engineering Review; May 27, 1911
Railroad History Citation ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele

Loading...