CN Main Street Bridge (Chippewa Falls)


Click the photo to view the full-size version

1/16
Date Taken:
Author:
Caption:

Name CN Main Street Bridge (Chippewa Falls)
Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway Bridge #350E
Built By Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway
Currently Owned By Canadian National Railway
Superstructure Contractor Unknown
Substructure Contractor Unknown
Length 70 Feet Total, 45 Foot Main Span
Width 2 Tracks, 1 In Use
Height Above Ground 14 Feet 3 Inches
Superstructure Design Through Plate Girder and Concrete Slab
Substructure Design Concrete
Date Built 1917
Traffic Count 5 Trains/Day (Estimated)
Current Status In Use
Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway Bridge Number 350E
Canadian National Railway Bridge Number 350.8
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date 9/7/2024

In 1880, the Wisconsin and Minnesota Railroad (W&M) would complete 54 miles of new railroad extending from Abbotsford to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.  By 1885, 109 additional miles would be completed from Chippewa Falls to St. Paul, Minnesota.  In 1888, the W&M would be acquired by the Wisconsin Central Railroad, which would be renamed the Wisconsin Central Railway (WC) in 1899.  The WC had previously completed a mainline, extending from Chicago to Abbotsford.  In 1909, the WC would be leased by the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway (Soo Line), which itself was controlled by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CP). The Soo Line had constructed a large network of railroads, connecting the Upper Midwest with Canadian Railroads.

In 1910, the WC began a series of projects to reconstruct the route.  The largest project was a new 18-mile alignment between Withrow and New Richmond, Wisconsin and the bridge over the St. Croix River, which opened in 1911.  This new alignment reduced the amount of grades and curves, and provided a connection to the Soo Line tracks at Withrow.  Additional relocations included 19 miles between Owen and Spencer which bypassed Abbotsford, and 11 miles between Colfax and Howard.  The old St. Croix River bridge would be scrapped in 1916, the Abbotsford to Curtiss segment abandoned in 1934, and the Curtiss to Owen segment abandoned in 1938.  By 1961, the WC, Soo Line and Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic would be merged to form Soo Line Corporation, a holding company controlled by Canadian Pacific Railway.  The segment between St. Paul and Carnelian Junction would be abandoned in 1980, and acquired by the Minnesota DNR. In 1984, the Soo Line would be reorganized as the Soo Line Corporation in advance of a pending purchase of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road).

After the Soo Line acquired the Milwaukee Road in 1986, this route became less important, as the Milwaukee Road purchase provided Soo with additional connections between Chicago and St. Paul.  In 1987, the route would be sold to Wisconsin Central, Ltd. Known as the "new" Wisconsin Central, the railroad acquired several excess rail lines from the Soo Line and C&NW, before being acquired as the American subsidiary of Canadian National Railway in 2001.  Today, the Gateway Trail utilizes the line between Carnelian Junction and St. Paul, while CN operates the remainder of the line as the Minneapolis Subdivision, part of the principal CN connection between Minneapolis and Chicago.


Located in Chippewa Falls, this through plate girder bridge carries the former Soo Line mainline over Main Street. In the 1910s, the Soo Line began leasing the Wisconsin Central Railway, and made a number of improvements to the line. Prior to the construction of the current cutoff through Chippewa Falls, the Soo Line crossed the Chippewa River in two locations, located both upstream and downstream of the current Chippewa River bridge. To improve grades, eliminate harsh curves and construct a stronger bridge, the Soo Line constructed a new cutoff in Chippewa Falls during the 1917 construction season, including this bridge. Initially, the bridge was constructed to cross Main Street and a streetcar line. The bridge consists of a double track 45-foot through plate girder span, approached by a 12-foot monolithic concrete slab span on either end. The girder span uses a standard design, with heavy girders, rounded girder ends and a ballast deck consisting of sheet metal set onto numerous parallel I-Beams. The approach spans use a design that became popular during the early 20th Century. The approach, abutment and pier were all constructed as one solid piece of concrete, which was stronger and required less maintenance than a traditional span. An unknown contractor fabricated the superstructure, and it is unknown if the approaches and substructures were constructed by an unknown contractor or by railroad company forces. This style of bridge was popular for grade separations, as it was durable, easy to construct and provided some minor decorative aesthetic. Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair condition, and the main span has been strengthened with plates at the end. The northernmost track has since been removed, but the southern track remains in use. The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.


Citations

Build date National Bridge Inventory (NBI)
Railroad History Citation ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele

Loading...