Home
Profile
Search For Bridge
Logout
Manage RR Stories
Update RR Story
Update Railroad Story
Story Name
Railroad
Current Railroad
Valuation Section(s)
Subdivision(s)
State
South/West Terminal
North/East Terminal
Description
Text
HTML5
<p>In 1873, the Junction City and Fort Kearney Railroad (JC&FK) constructed a new railroad line, extending from the Kansas Pacific Railway mainline at Junction City, Kansas to Clay Center, Kansas. An additional extension was made in 1878, when the line was continued to Concordia, Kansas. An extension from Clyde, Kansas to Belleville, Kansas would be completed in 1884. The JC&FK entered receivership in 1893, and was operated by the Union Pacific Railway (UP). The railroad would be consumed by UP entirely in 1899, and UP would change its name to the Union Pacific Railroad in 1901. The UP had constructed a vast network of railroads, extending from the Missouri River westwards. This line operated as a branch line to serve agricultural industries in north central Kansas. Because this line was a lightly used branch line, the lines north of Clay Center were abandoned in 1933. In 1964, the line from Junction City to Clay Center was abandoned. Today, little remains of this line, except for some grading and the Republican River Pegram Truss Bridge near Concordia.<br></p>
Update Story