- 1836: Galena and Chicago Union Railroad charted between Chicago and Galena, Illinois
- 1849: 11 miles completed from West Chicago to Elgin, Illinois by the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad
- 1852: 52 miles completed from Elgin to Rockford, Illinois by the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad
- 1853: 28 miles completed from Rockford to Freeport, Illinois by the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad
- 1864: G&CU consolidated with the Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1972: Winnebago to Freeport segment abandoned
- 1981: Rockford to Winnebago segment abandoned
- 1980s: Rockford to Freeport segment purchased by Commonwealth Edison
- 1995: Chicago & North Western purchased by Union Pacific Railroad
- 1995-Present: Union Pacific operates the Belvidere Subdivision from West Chicago to Rockford
- 2010-Present: Pecatonica Prairie Path gradually developed on Rockford to Freeport segment
Located east of downtown Rockford, this small through girder bridge crosses 20th Street.
Built in 1890, the bridge consists of a single through girder span, set onto stone substructures. The substructures were encased in concrete within recent years.
In addition, the bridge was reconstructed with high strength bolts and some new members. The bridge is currently operated as a one lane bridge with traffic lights, which have improved the flow of traffic.
Overall, the remaining girder span is in fair condition. Significant rebuilding of the bridge repaired this bridge to good health.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design. Despite this, the bridge is a good example of an older generation girder.
The photo above is an overview.