The line was instead built to the Mississippi River at Fulton. The Mississippi River was a major barrier for any railroad at the time. Earlier that year the Rock Island Railroad had started the bridge across the Mississippi in Rock Island.
The railroad used a ferry for many years to cross the Mississippi River.
The line was built across the river in 1865 and completed into Clinton. The Iowa & Nebraska Railroad continued building west from Clinton in 1856 and it was completed to Omaha in 1867.
The line was instrumental in the connection to the west coast. It was part of the transcontinental railroad.
It eventually became a part of the Chicago & Northwestern System.
In 1884, the C&NW undertook a major project to double track the line. It was double tracked as far as Sterling in 1898, and Omaha by 1901.
The C&NW operated this as a mainline. The Geneva Subdivision, as it was known extended from Clinton, Iowa to Chicago.
In 1995, the Union Pacific purchased the C&NW. They continue to operate this line with a steady traffic base as their Geneva Subdivision.
This standard through girder bridge crosses US-30 near the town of Fulton.
Built in 1957, the bridge features a single through girder span. This span features a heavy skew and sits on concrete abutments.
The bridge was funded by a Federal Aid Project through the State of Illinois.
Overall, the bridge remains in good condition. The underside of the bridge has some damage from oversized vehicles.
The author has ranked the bridge as being minimally significant, due to the common design and newer age.
The photo above is an overview. It can be accessed from the road below.