Starting in Elroy, the route would be constructed westwards, reaching Eau Claire by 1870. A short 10 mile branch was built between Warrens and Tomah in 1868.
By 1871, the route would reach Hudson. The same year, the St. Paul, Stillwater & Taylor Falls Railway would build a route between Hudson and St. Paul, Minnesota.
By 1878, the WW became part of the Chicago, St. Paul & Minneapolis Railway, which in turn became part of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railway in 1880.
The Omaha road became controlled by the Chicago & North Western Railway upon formation.
A second main track was constructed along this route between Wyeville and St. Paul between 1911 and 1913, as part of an upgrade to the C&NW system.
The Omaha Road was leased by the C&NW in 1957, and was outright merged in 1972. The C&NW continued to operate this as a main track until 1995, when it was purchased by Union Pacific.
Today, Union Pacific operates this line as part of a main line to the Twin Cities.
This through girder bridge crosses Johnson Parkway near the intersection of 7th Street East.
Built in 1906, the bridge features a through girder main span approached by a steel stringer on either side.
The bridge rests on stone abutments with steel piers. These piers rest on concrete bases.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to poor condition. Some strengthening of this structure occurred in 2016 or 2017.
The author has ranked the bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.