- 1880: 54 miles completed from Chippewa Falls to Abbotsford, Wisconsin by Wisconsin and Minnesota Railroad
- 1885: 109 miles completed from St. Paul, Minnesota to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin by predecessors of the Wisconsin Central Railroad
- 1888: W&M acquired by Wisconsin Central Railroad
- 1897: Wisconsin Central Railroad changed to Wisconsin Central Railway
- 1910: 12 mile realignment completed between Colfax and Howard, Wisconsin
- 1910: 19 miles completed between Owen and Spencer, Wisconsin by Wisconsin Central Railway, bypassing Abbotsford
- 1911: 18 mile realignment and new bridge completed between Withrow, Minnesota and New Richmond, Wisconsin
- 1916: Old St. Croix River Bridge removed
- 1934: Abbotsford-Curtiss segment abandoned
- 1938: Curtiss-Owen segment abandoned
- 1961: WC merged with Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway and Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railway to form Soo Line Railroad
- 1980: Carnelian Junction to St. Paul segment abandoned and acquired by Minnesota DNR
- 1984: Soo Line Corporation created by Canadian Pacific Railway as a holding company
- 1987: Route sold to Wisconsin Central, Ltd
- 1993: Gateway Trail opens on St. Paul-Carnelian Junction segment
- 2001: Canadian National Railway acquires Wisconsin Central, Ltd
- 2001-Present: Canadian National operates the Withrow-Owen line as the Minneapolis Subdivision
This pratt truss high bridge on stone piers crossed high above the Saint Croix River, before being replaced with the new high bridge upstream.
The bridge was built in 1884, as a Pratt through and deck truss high bridge. It was removed in 1916.
The bridge featured pin connections, long spans and lightweight truss engineering.
Today, all substructures still exist.
The photo above is a view looking east across the bridge site. The author has ranked this bridge as having no significance, since it has been removed for over a century.
|Upstream||Arcola High Bridge|
|Downstream||Hudson Swing Bridge|