The line was finished in 1871.
The name was changed to the Rock Island and Peoria Railway in 1877.
In 1903, the RI&P became a part of the much larger Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway. The Rock Island used this as a branch line.
The line was abandoned as the Rock Island began to struggle in 1963. From Toulon south to Peoria became a public trail in 1989.
The line from Rock Island to Toulon was liquidated to local land owners. One section still exists, from Rock Island to Milan.
Currently it is operated by the Iowa Interstate Railroad.
This bridge is one of two IAIS bridges across the Rock River here. Both these are part of Vandruff Island.
Built in 1930, this bridge consists of three riveted Quadrangular Through Truss spans, set onto concrete substructures. It is believed that this bridge was relocated from elsewhere, and was originally fabricated approximately 1890.
It is possible that this bridge was originally built at Sylvan Slough in 1894. However, that bridge was replaced 1924. It is believed that one of the two identical bridges on Vandruff Island were relocated here from Sylvan Slough. Currently, there is no proof of this.
In addition, it is clear that the northern two spans are different from the southern span. While there is a great amount of similarity, these spans feature differences in the portal bracing.
Currently, the author is researching where these two spans came from.
When relocated here in 1930, it is possible that the bridge was rebuilt. It appears it was originally a Lassig Bridge & Iron Works product.
The author has ranked this bridge as being regionally significant, due to the old age and relocation history.
The photo above is an overview.
|Upstream||IAIS Rock River Bridge|
|South Channel||Vandruff Island Railroad Bridge (N)|
|Downstream||Confluence with Mississippi River|