The line was finished in 1871.
The name was changed to the Rock Island and Peoria Railway in 1877.
In 1903, the RI&P became a part of the much larger Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway. The Rock Island used this as a branch line.
The line was abandoned as the Rock Island began to struggle in 1963. From Toulon south to Peoria became a public trail in 1989.
The line from Rock Island to Toulon was liquidated to local land owners. One section still exists, from Rock Island to Milan.
Currently it is operated by the Iowa Interstate Railroad.
This bridge is one of two IAIS bridges across the Rock River here. Both these are part of Vandruff Island.
Built in approximately 1924 this bridge consists of three riveted Quadrangular Through Truss spans, set onto concrete substructures. It is believed that this bridge was relocated from elsewhere, and was originally fabricated approximately 1890.
It is believed that this bridge was originally built at Sylvan Slough in 1894. There have been reports stating this. It is also clear a different truss bridge of identical design but slight differences existed here in 1915.
Currently, the author is researching where these two spans came from.
When relocated here, it is possible that the bridge was rebuilt. It appears it was originally a Lassig Bridge & Iron Works product.
The author has ranked this bridge as being regionally significant, due to the old age and relocation history.
The photo above is an overview.
|Upstream||IAIS Rock River Bridge|
|South Channel||Vandruff Island Railroad Bridge (S)|
|Downstream||Confluence with Mississippi River|