The work would be completed in late 1884, with the new diagonal line connecting the towns of Waterloo, Marshalltown and Des Moines.
In 1887, an expansion would lead towards Saint Joseph, Missouri.
By 1905, the line would become part of the Mason City & Fort Dodge Railway.
The Mason City & Fort Dodge would join the Chicago & Great Western Railway system in 1909.
By 1968, the Chicago & Great Western would be purchased by the Chicago & Northwestern Railway.
With a slowing freight economy for railroads during the 1980s, the C&NW would begin abandoning this line.
The first piece came in 1983, when the stretch from Bondurant to Marshalltown was abandoned.
The second and larger stretch came in 1988 when the stretch from Marshalltown to Cedar Falls would be abandoned.
While the Bondurant to Baxter (southwest of Marshalltown) section opened as an early rail trail in 1987.
By 2011, the stump to Bondurant from Des Moines would be abandoned, and has since became a part of the same trail.
Today, all of the line is abandoned, with the exception from the Baxter to Des Moines section, which is the Chichaqua Valley Trail.
This double stone arch crosses an unnamed tributary of the S. Skunk River near Valeria.
Built in approximately 1900, the arch replaced a trestle, which was filled in. The south arch was encased in concrete to reinforce the bridge. This alteration likely occurred once the bridge was converted to trail use.
Overall, the stone arch remains in good condition. This is believed to be the largest stone arch along the Chichaqua Valley Trail.
The author has ranked this bridge as being moderately significant, due to the double arch design.
The photo above is an overview. The bridge can be accessed from the trail above.