They began construction of a new mainline, stretching from Valparasio, Nebraska to the Nebraska/Kansas state line near Marysville, Kansas.
In addition, another line would be constructed from Valley, Nebraska to Valparasio.
The railroad would allow connections between Fremont and Lincoln, as well as to Beatrice.
By 1898, the railroad became part of the Union Pacific Railroad, which owned many other lines in the area.
Union Pacific continued to operate this line as a branch line, although many of the connecting railroads would be abandoned.
By 2001, Union Pacific abandoned the portion south of Lincoln. It has been turned into the Jamaica North Trail and the Homestead Trail, which will eventually connect all the way to Marysville, Kansas.
The remaining portions are now part of the Lincoln Subdivision.
This beautiful Quadrangular Through Truss Bridge is one of two truss bridges over Salt Creek near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Campus.
This bridge, and the Abandoned Bridge sit right behind the baseball fields for the college.
This bridge was built in 1881, after a flood destroyed the old bridge.
The area around this bridge was once filled with rail yards. This bridge allowed for Union Pacific trains to connect between yards.
The bridge is a single riveted Quadrangular Through Truss. It is approached by trestle and is set upon wooden substructures.
The portal bracing is similar to the Saltillo Bridge south of Lincoln.
The Quadrangular Through Truss design is relatively rare around the country. However, it is rather common in the midwest; where the Rock Island and the Chicago & North Western swore by the design.
This design is an interesting adaption of the traditional Lassig design. It was likely designed for the Omaha & Republican Valley instead of coming from a common plan.
The plates have been removed
The photo above is an overview.