- 1890: 44 miles completed Madison to Litchfield, Illinois by the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad
- 1900: CP&StL acquired by the Litchfield & Madison Railway
- 1901: 83 miles completed from Nelson to Peoria, Illinois by the Peoria & Northwestern Railway
- 1901: P&NW acquired by the Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1904: 24 miles completed from Benld to Girard, Illinois by the Macoupin County Railway
- 1912: Macoupin County Railway sold to the St. Louis, Peoria & Northwestern Railway
- 1913: 93 miles completed from Kickapoo (Peoria) to Benld, Illinois by the St. Louis, Peoria & Northwestern Railway
- 1913: StLP&NW sold to the Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1913: 4 miles completed from Girard to Staunton by the Macoupin County Extension Railway
- 1914: Macoupin County Extension leased to the Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1927: 3 miles completed from Staunton to the Litchfield & Madison at DeCamp by the Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1957: Litchfield & Madison purchased by the Chicago & North Western Railway
- 1995: Chicago & North Western purchased by Union Pacific Railroad
- 1998: DeCamp to Stallings segment abandoned
- 1998: Barr to Girard segment abandoned
- 1998: DeCamp to Monterey Junction sold to Norfolk Southern Railroad
- 1995-Present: Union Pacific operates the Peoria Subdivision from Nelson to Barr
- 1995-Present: Union Pacific operates the Monterey Subdivision from Nilwood to Monterey Junction
- 1995-Present: Union Pacific operates the Granite City Industrial Lead from Madison to Granite City
- 1998-Present: Norfolk Southern operates the Monterey Branch from DeCamp to Monterey Junction
- 2010-Present: Sangamon Valley Trail is developed in pieces between Barr and Girard
Located near Green Valley, this large truss bridge crosses the Mackinaw River parallel to IL-29.
Built in 1913 as part of a new line, the bridge features a single Quadrangular Through Truss, approached by a girder on the north side. Originally, these two spans were approched by trestle, however the north approach has been replaced with I-Beams. The bridge rests on concrete, steel and wood substrcuctures.
While nationally the Quadrangular design is uncommon, it was popular with midwestern railroads, particularly the Chicago & North Western.
The builder, King Bridge Company, is also not known to have built many Quadrangular trusses. The only ones known to exist are this one, and the large lift bridge approximately five miles north of here.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in fair to good condition. The author was not able to inspect under the truss, where other nearby similar bridges have been found with serious deterioration.
The author has ranked this bridge as being moderately significant, due to the truss design.
The photo above is an overview from IL-29.
|Upstream||CN Mackinaw River Bridge|
|Downstream||IMRR Mackinaw River Bridge|