In 1898, the Great Northern Railway, which was a powerhouse in Northern Minnesota would connect this line to the Twin Cities, via Cambridge.
The Eastern Railway of Minnesota became part of the Great Northern in 1907, and this became the mainline for the GN between Minneapolis and Duluth.
The Great Northern became part of Burlington Northern in 1970, via a merger with their competitor, Northern Pacific.
In 1996, the BN became a part of BNSF Railway, through a merger with the Atchiston, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway.
Today, the line continues to be operated as the Hinckley Subdivision, and is the last active rail route between the Twin Cities and Duluth.
This bridge is by far the most impressive in Northeast Minnesota!
It crosses the Kettle River in Banning State Park a long ways above the river.
The current bridge was built in 1894, after the old bridge was destroyed in the Hinckley Fire of 1893.
The main span is a 6 panel pin connected pratt deck truss, resting on steel towers, supported by stone.
The bridge is well known, and easily accessible. The photo above is an overview.