By 1886, the route would become part of the Chicago, Kansas & Western Railroad. The line would be completed in 1887.
A mainline was later built south out of Havana, rendering the Havana to Cedar Vale portion a branch.
The CK&W became a part of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway in 1901. The route was abandoned in approximately 1940.
Today, little remains of the Cedar Vale Branch. Only scattered structures dot the landscape.
This simple stone arch bridge crosses over a branch of the Caney River near Elgin, Kansas.
Carrying a gravel road since 1934, this bridge was built only 34 years before, in 1900.
The ATSF refers to this structure as a rubble arch, likely due to the smaller and more jagged pieces of stone in the construction.
Overall, the bridge remains in good condition. It is located under County Road 11 near Dalton Road.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design and newer age.
During the year 1899, the ATSF built numerous stone arches such as this one to replace wooden trestles.
The photo above is an overview. The bridge can be accessed from the county road above.