However in 1888, the CRIF&N built another branch from Ellsworth, Minnesota (near the State Line) to Sioux Falls.
The Sioux Falls branch crossed through Rock Rapids and Larchwood before coming into Sioux Falls from the Southeast.
The CRIF&N would become part of the Burlingon, Cedar Rapids & Northern in 1902.
The BCR&N would be swallowed by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in 1903, which was commonly known as the Rock Island.
The Rock Island operated many of the Southwest branch lines until the late 1970s, as they began their rapid decent into bankruptcy. This one was abandoned in 1977.
Today, some pieces of the BCR&N still survive. Bridges in Sioux Falls and Rock Rapids mark a time past.
This bridge, one of the most historic in Sioux Falls, almost faced demolition in 2011.
Sioux Falls has had a particular recent grudge against railroads and rivers, the two things that built the town.
In this example, they wanted to tear down an 1888 Double Intersection Warren Pony Truss Bridge in downtown so they could "renew" the area.
This is precisely what happened to the Illinois Central bridge upstream.
Fortunately, the developers designing the nearby hotel found use for this bridge, rehabilitated it and reopened it in 2013.
The bridge features a pair of Double Intersection Warren Pony Truss spans with riveted connections. Its approach is a pair of deck girder spans on concrete piers.
The truss piers appear to be stone encased in concrete.
The photo above is an overview.
Big Sioux River Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||Beadle Park Rail Bridge (W)|
|Downstream||IC Big Sioux River Bridge/td>|