With the NP, it would have gone from Grand Forks, paralleling the existing GN line, going through Crookston, Fertile, and connecting to the mainline at Hawley.
In the end, both began building the line, but the GN abandoned their project. NP built their line. Cities like Twin Valley, Fertile and Gary came into existence because of this line. And because of this line, a branch was built off of the line at Fertile MN. The branch went to Red Lake Falls, Thief River Falls and Eventually Canada. The phrase Manitoba Jct came into existence where this line met the main line.
The NP continued to operate these lines with decent service. In 1956 the line from Fertile to Red Lake Falls was abandoned. The NP had alternative access to Red Lake Falls.
Northern Pacific and its competitor, Great Northern merged to form Burlington Northern.
Burlington Northern operated the line until 1986, when the BN abandoned the part from
Ulen to Fertile. From Fertile to Crookston and from Manitoba Jct to Ulen eventually
came into BNSF's hands. BNSF was formed from Burlington Northern and Santa Fe's merger
in 1996. BNSF sold the part from Fertile to Crookston to Minnesota Northern railroad,
a shortline who turned around and abandoned it, both things happening in 1996. From
Manitoba Jct to Ulen is still in service to serve a huge West Central Ag elevator.
This bridge is a tragedy. It was unfairly removed because of "flood issues".
The bridge was a perfect example of a late center pivot swing span, with a warren design. An oddity for sure.
In addition, it had a riveted pratt through truss approach.
Here is what the history sign says about this bridge:
"Since the 1800s, the Federal Government has required that all bridges over navigable streams make allowance for boat traffic. The center pivot swing span satisfied this rule. Easy to build, it was the most widely used design for railroad bridges in the 1880s. It operated by disengaging the center section from the approaches at either end and rotating it on a turntable. This opened the river channel, allowing boats to pass through. In 1887, the Northern Pacific Railroad built a swing span timber truss bridge here. A howe Through Truss design was used for the 220 foot center swing span and 120 foot eastern approach and a Howe pony truss for the 75 foot western approach. The swing span pivoted on a stone pier 27 feet in diameter. The wooden bridge was refurbished in 1902. It was replaced with a riveted steel bridge in 1917. The steel bridge was also a swing span design. Using the original stone pier to pivot on, it had a 213 foot riveted, 8 panel Warren Through Truss with verticals for the swing span. The approaches were deck plate girder construction on the west and Pratt Through Truss on the east; they were supported by massive wooden piers near the riverbanks which restricted the river's flow during flods. Even after the flood of 1917, there was significant dissension as to a solution for this. Citing the safety of the commumities, the Corps of Engineers removed the bridge deck, secondary piers and approaches in 2000."
Here is the design of the bridge:
6 Spans Trestle
126' Riveted 6 Panel Pratt Through Truss
213' 8 Panel Riveted Warren Through Truss center pivot Swing Span with all verticals
70' Deck Plate Girder
10 Spans Trestle
It is very unfortunate it was removed. It made a nice trail. It didn't get half the attention it should have at the end. But they tried.
The picture above is looking at the one remain.
Red River of the North Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||Oslo Railroad Bridge|
|Downstream||Grand Forks Rail Bridge|