The following year, this railroad would become part of the Chicago & North Western Railway, which was beginning to build extensive lines in the Upper Midwest.
In 1870, the railroad would extend another 5 miles to Lake Angeline. The system of mine spurs in the northern part of the Upper Peninsula would be extended over the coming years.
By 1871, the railroad would build a new mainline to connect Escanaba to Green Bay, Wisconsin. This line connected the Upper Peninsula lines to the rest of the core system.
The new line would head west along present day US-2, and drop south at Powers. From here, it would cross the Menominee River at Marinette.
It would go through Peshtigo and Oconto before finally reaching Green Bay from the north.
The C&NW intended to reduce the amount of route miles. This line got sold to the Wisconsin Central, Ltd. This regional railroad owned many former C&NW and Milwaukee Road lines in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota.
By 2001, the railroad would change hands again. This time, Canadian National Railway would take over.
Today, it continues to be operated as the Canadian National Marinette Subdivision
This modern and not particularly appealing bridge sits on the site of what was a wonderful through truss bridge.
Unfortunately, this bridge was replaced in 2015 by a deck girder bridge, with absolutely no significance.
However, the old bridge was not capable of carrying the heavy loads required for operation. Flaws in the steel were also noted, as this bridge was originally supposed to be replaced in 1943, as identical trusses in Marinette were.
While the Original Truss was built in 1892 and modified in 1943, this bridge would inevitably replace it.
This bridge features 9 deck girder spans, and a through girder span crossing the ELS Railroad. These rest on concrete piles and original stone substructures.
The photo above is an overview.
Escanaba River Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||Wells Rail Bridge|
|Predecessor||Escanaba Rail Bridge|
|Downstream||Mouth at Lake Michigan|