logo

Lytle's Landing Trail Bridge

Warren Truss Bridge over Black River
Lytles Landing, La Crosse County, Wisconsin

Click the Photo Above to See All Photos of This Bridge!
Name Lytle's Landing Trail Bridge
Built By Chicago & Northwestern Railway
Contractor American Bridge Company of New York
Currently Owned By La Crosse County
Length 1,212 Feet Total, 140 Foot Main Spans
Width 1 Track, 2 Trail Lanes
Height Above Ground 20 Feet (Estimated)
Type Warren Through Truss, Deck Girder and Trestle
Date Built 1927
Traffic Count 0 Trains/Day (Bridge is a Trail)
Current Status Rails to Trails
C&NW Bridge Number 673
In 1857, the La Crosse, Trempeauleau & Prescott Railroad charted a line from Marshland (near Winona) to Medary Junction in La Crosse.

In 1867, the Chicago & Northwestern Railway acquired it. No building was ever done under the LT&P, and C&NW completed it.

By 1870, the line was built between Winona and La Crosse. Starting in 1873, the C&NW desired to built further.

The C&NW first crossed the Mississippi River at Winona in 1871. The bridge would connect to the existing Minnesota Mainline.

Now they wanted to build east of La Crosse. The proposed line would follow the existing Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul tracks from La Crosse to Sparta, a distance of about 25 miles.

In addition, a line would be completed from Sparta to Elroy, into a very difficult area. This area had many geographical features, such as large hills.

Nonetheless, this line was completed in 1873. At Elroy, the line connected to a line to Madison. This line had been completed from Madison through Reedsburg to Elroy in 1872 by the Barbaroo Air Line Railroad.

One of the challenges of the Sparta-Elroy portion of the line was three massive tunnels under sandstone bluffs. These were completed in 1873.

In 1911, at the peak, the line could handle a massive 60 trains/day. This line became the mainline for the C&NW connecting Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison to the Twin Cities years before.
But maybe more importantly, the line would connect into South Dakota across Minnesota, making it a true grain line.

But, regardless of the traffic, once the new double track line between the Twin Cities and Milwaukee through Eau Claire opened in 1911, the traffic fell off hard north of Elroy.

Another contributing factor was a connection directly to that line at Wyeville, built from Sparta in 1912.

The first abandonment came in 1964 when the C&NW shut down the line from Sparta to Elroy. At Elroy, the line was still connecting to a C&NW line to Wausau, and was one of a few connections from Wausau to Madison.

The next round came in 1977, when the northern end of the line was shut down from Winona to Trempealeau.

By 1985, the line would be shut down from Reedsburg to Elroy. And the final blow came in the 1980s when the Trempealeau to Sparta line was abandoned.

With these massive abandonments, the lines became part of trails. The first rail-trail in the nation, the Elroy-Sparta trail was completed in 1965. The feature is three massive tunnels and 34 decked bridges, with numerous hidden stone arches.
The next sections were completed in the 1990s. From Elroy-Reedsburg, its named the 400 trail, and is a reference to the fact that C&NW could run between Milwaukee and the Twin Cities in 400 minutes.
From La Crosse to Sparta is named the La Crosse River Trail, and features scenic views of the La Crosse River in La Crosse and Dutch Creek in Bangor, as well as many smaller bridges and swamps. This trail parallels the CP ex CMStP&P (Milwaukee Road) for the entire length.
The final section runs from La Crosse to Trempealeau. This trail is known as the Great River Trail, and features scenic crossings of numerous swamps along the Mississippi River. The largest attraction is the quarter mile long bridge over the Black River.

Together, these four trails make up Wisconsin's famed "Bike 4 Trails", and make Sparta the bicycle capitol of the world (as they claim).

The final few miles from Trempealeau to Winona Junction remain abandoned, with little hopes for future trail development. The bridge over the Mississippi River is missing its main swing span, although the approaches remain.

From Reedsburg to Madison remains in use as Union Pacific Railroad, who purchased the C&NW in 1995.

If you ever find yourself in this area of Wisconsin, Bike 4!
12/18/13


This bridge is a 1/4 of a mile long bridge across the Black River near the confluence with the Mississippi River.

It this location, the Black River can get wide. This would explain the length of this bridge and the nearby BNSF bridge.

In addition to the 68 spans of wooden trestle on this bridge, there are 3-30' deck girders likely relocated from another place.

Records show this bridge was built in 1927.

Today the bridge is a trail. The photo above is looking from beneath the nearby BNSF bridge.

Black River Railroad Bridges

Upstream UP Black River Bridge
Downstream BNSF Black River Bridge


Site Search Site Search

Widget is loading comments...



© Copyright 2010- John Marvig and Contributors. All Rights Reserved