The Leavenworth, Pawnee and Western Railroad was initially authorized by the Kansas Legislature in 1855, and changed the name to the Union Pacific Eastern Division in 1863.
Construction began in Kansas City in September 1863. The original goal was to meet the Central Branch Union Pacific Railroad somewhere near Clay Center, Kansas.
In 1864, the first 40 miles of line between Kansas City and Lawrence was placed into operation. During the fall of 1866, the railroad extended again to Junction City, and reached Salina the following year.
The planners of the railroad realized it would be far more profitable to reach Denver instead of ending at the originally intended Fort Riley. Citizens lobbied heavily to extend the railroad even further west.
Reorganized as the Kansas Pacific, an extension towards Colorado began building west from Salina in 1869. When the railroad reached Kit Carson, Colorado the following year, the KP began building east from Denver. The two railroads met at Strasburg, Colorado in August 1870.
Because the western segment from Denver to Strasburg originally connected with another railroad, the meeting at Strasburg was the first time the east and west coast were connected by railroad, including a bridge over the Missouri River, which did not exist at that time in Omaha.
In 1874, Jay Gould gained control of the KP, and was reorganized as the Union Pacific Railroad. Other than track upgrades, the line saw little change since the 1870 connection.
Today, UP continues to operate the line in four subdivisions. The eastern portion of the Kansas Subdivision extends from Kansas City to Topeka, the Salina Subdivision extends from Topeka to Salina, the Sharon Springs Subdivision extends from Salina to Sharon Springs, and the Limon Subdivision extends from Sharon Springs to Denver.
This single span through truss crosses Stranger Creek in Linwood, Kansas.
The truss is a 5-panel riveted Baltimore Through Truss. It was built in 1905, as Union Pacific double tracked this line.
It is a typical Union Pacific design. Union Pacific built many similar heavily built trusses during this era. Most were contracted by American Bridge Company of New York.
This structure is no different. It rests on concrete substructures. It is parallel to the closed Golden Road.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common nature of this bridge; as well as the newer design.
However, this should not detract from the fact that the bridge is still in great condition, and has a very good historical integrity.
The photo above is an oblique view from the east end. Because of the nature of this region, good overview photos of the bridge are extremely hard.