C&NW reached Mankato, and built a little north, crossing the Minnesota River at St. Peter, staying north of the River until finally crossing back over at New Ulm. It then went to Tracy, and later Watertown, SD. It reached South Dakota in 1872.
The Chicago & North Western opted for a new route between New Ulm and Mankato. They built it in 1899, using the old route as a backup.
A portion between Burdette (East Mankato) and Kasota was abandoned in 1937, and the remainder between Kasota and just east of New Ulm abandoned in 1954 and 1959. The line east of New Ulm was retained as a spur to a quarry.
By 1986, the C&NW was looking to abandoned this route. A group of Senators stepped in and purchased the line, and named the Dakota Minnesota & Eastern.
After many years of independent and rapidly expanding operations, the DM&E was purchased by the Canadian Pacific in 2008. CP continues to operate the route between Winona and Tracy, with the Waseca to Winona portion known as the Waseca Subdivision.
Located on the north side of Owatonna, this through girder span crosses the Union Pacific Albert Lea Subdivision.
Built in 1901 to cross the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern (later Rock Island), the bridge features a single through girder span. This span sits on stone abutments.
An identical bridge crosses Riverside Avenue to the west of this bridge.
Overall, this bridge appears to be in good condition.
The author has ranked the bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.