C&NW reached Mankato, and built a little north, crossing the Minnesota River at St. Peter, staying north of the River until finally crossing back over at New Ulm. It then went to Tracy, and later Watertown, SD. It reached South Dakota in 1872.
The Chicago & North Western opted for a new route between New Ulm and Mankato. They built it in 1899, using the old route as a backup.
A portion between Burdette (East Mankato) and Kasota was abandoned in 1937, and the remainder between Kasota and just east of New Ulm abandoned in 1954 and 1959. The line east of New Ulm was retained as a spur to a quarry.
By 1986, the C&NW was looking to abandoned this route. A group of Senators stepped in and purchased the line, and named the Dakota Minnesota & Eastern.
After many years of independent and rapidly expanding operations, the DM&E was purchased by the Canadian Pacific in 2008. CP continues to operate the route between Winona and Tracy, with the Waseca to Winona portion known as the Waseca Subdivision.
Located in downtown Owatonna, this short girder bridge once crossed Oak Avenue.
Built in 1894, the bridge featured a single deck plate girder span, built in a four girder configuration. The bridge was built onto stone abutments.
In 2016, the bridge was replaced by a new modular span. Unfortunately, this was a loss of one of the older girder spans in southern Minnesota.
The history of the span may not entirely be known either. A four beam arrangement oftentimes indicates that the bridge was rebuilt and possibly moved to that location.
The author has ranked the bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.