logo

DM&E Bridge #530

Deck Plate Girder Bridge Over Farm Access Road
Near Lamberton, Redwood County, Minnesota

Click the Photo Above to See All Photos of This Bridge!
Name DM&E Bridge #530
Built By Chicago & North Western Railway
Contractor Chicago Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago
Currently Owned By Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad
Length 30 Feet Total
Width 1 Track
Height Above Ground 20 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Type Deck Plate Girder
Substructure Type Concrete
Date Built 1916
Traffic Count 4 Trains/Day (Estimated)
Current Status In Use
DM&E Bridge Number 530
Significance Local Significance
In 1861, after the financial crisis of 1859, the Winona, St Peter, Missouri River railroad company was awarded the property to build across Minnesota. They laid the track on the graded line, and continued building. The railroad reached Rochester in 1864, and Owatonna in 1866, until they were largely purchased by Chicago & North Western Railway in 1867. The CNW operated the W&StP as a subsidiary, and continued building west in 1871.
C&NW reached Mankato, and built a little north, crossing the Minnesota River at St. Peter, staying north of the River until finally crossing back over at New Ulm. It then went to Tracy, and later Watertown, SD. It reached South Dakota in 1872.
The Chicago & North Western opted for a new route between New Ulm and Mankato. They built it in 1899, using the old route as a backup.
A portion between Burdette (East Mankato) and Kasota was abandoned in 1937, and the remainder between Kasota and just east of New Ulm abandoned in 1954 and 1959. The line east of New Ulm was retained as a spur to a quarry.

By 1986, the C&NW was looking to abandoned this route. A group of Senators stepped in and purchased the line, and named the Dakota Minnesota & Eastern.
After many years of independent and rapidly expanding operations, the DM&E was purchased by the Canadian Pacific in 2008. CP continues to operate the route between Winona and Tracy, with the Waseca to Tracy portion known as the Tracy Subdivision.
01/08/19


Located east of Lamberton, this small girder bridge crosses a field access road.
Built in 1916, the bridge features a small deck girder span set onto concrete abutments. This girder is not as built up as larger deck girders, and uses a four beam arrangement.
Overall, the bridge appears to be in good condition. Chicago Bridge & Iron Works did a lot of work throughout this area between 1916 and 1918.

The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.

Citations

Source Type

Source

Build Date Chicago Bridge & Iron Works plaque
Build Date Chicago Bridge & Iron Works plaque
Railroad Line History Source ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele



Widget is loading comments...



© Copyright 2010- John Marvig and Contributors. All Rights Reserved