By 1870, the line had extended across the Mississippi and all the way to Nebraska.
The line eventually came under the ownership of Illinois Central. The IC used this as a mainline, connecting to the bigger mainline to Chicago and to New Orleans, Louisiana.
In 1972, the IC purchased its main competitor, the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad, forming the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad.
The ICG years were bad. The Iowa Division was dismantled, and this line, along with many others were sold to Subsidiary Chicago, Central & Pacific Railroad in 1985.
The ICG changed the name back to Illinois Central in 1988, and purchased back the Iowa Division in 1996.
By then it was too late. Other railroads had been doing well, and competition became too much for the IC. They sold themselves to the Canadian National Railway in 1998, who would later purchase the Wisconsin Central in western Wisconsin and several other railroads.
The CN continues to operate this line with about 5 trains a day.
This bridge is part of a series of two seperate rivited, A-Frame Portal, 6 panel, laced endpost Pratt through truss bridges with various approaches.
This is also part of a larger series of 10 bridges over the Galena, 8 of which are girder. The two trusses are numbers 8 and 9.
This bridge is located along Buckhill Road, about 1500' from the other truss bridge.
It consists of an American Bridge Company riveted, A-Frame Portal, 6 panel, laced endpost Pratt through Truss with 30' through plate girder approaches on either side.
Thanks to Steve Conro for donating a photo! The photo above is looking from Buckhill Road.
Galena River Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||CN E. Fork Galena River Bridge #7|
|Downstream||CN E. Fork Galena River Bridge #9|