The following year, this railroad would become part of the Chicago & North Western Railway, which was beginning to build extensive lines in the Upper Midwest.
In 1870, the railroad would extend another 5 miles to Lake Angeline. The system of mine spurs in the northern part of the Upper Peninsula would be extended over the coming years.
By 1871, the railroad would build a new mainline to connect Escanaba to Green Bay, Wisconsin. This line connected the Upper Peninsula lines to the rest of the core system.
The new line would head west along present day US-2, and drop south at Powers. From here, it would cross the Menominee River at Marinette.
It would go through Peshtigo and Oconto before finally reaching Green Bay from the north.
The C&NW intended to reduce the amount of route miles. This line got sold to the Wisconsin Central, Ltd. This regional railroad owned many former C&NW and Milwaukee Road lines in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota.
By 2001, the railroad would change hands again. This time, Canadian National Railway would take over.
Today, it continues to be operated as the Canadian National Marinette Subdivision
This common type through girder bridge crosses the Ford River parallel to US-2 and US-41 near Escanaba.
The bridge contains two large through girder spans, which likely replaced an older truss span of some sort.
These large through girders rest on stone substructures. Overall, the structure appears to be in very good condition.
The bridge has been rated as locally significant because of the common design, despite the historic integrity.
The photo above is an overview. The bridge can be accessed from US-2.