The DM&N would use the Great Northern Route to get to Duluth prior to construction connecting their own line.
The new construction took place in 1905, when a connection was put in place from near Keenan to Culver, connecting into Duluth via Proctor.
The construction was majorly financed by the new United States Steel, which was formed in 1901 and took complete control of the DM&N the same year.
By 1938, the DM&N merged with its partner, the Duluth & Iron Range Railroad to form Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railroad (DM&IR).
The DM&IR was a major iron/taconite hauler in the region, hauling the high grade Missabe Iron Ore to Lake Superior and to Pittsburgh.
USS continued to control the DM&IR until 1988, when they spun their railroad holdings off to Blackstone Group, who in turn sold them to Canadian National in 2003.
The DM&IR was a subsidiary of Canadian National until 2011, when it was fully purchased by Wisconsin Central, ending the long history of the railroad.
The WC Ltd is a fully owned subsidiary of Canadian National, who currently operates over all the DM&IR lines, including this line, known as the Missabe Subdivision, running from Keenan to the St. Louis Bay Ore Docks.
This odd bridge lies on the skirts of the Iron Range in Rural St. Louis County. The bridge is actually parallel bridges with the same dimensions.
The bridge is located parallel to County 694.
The Southbound track was built in 1906, and was clearly an expansion project. The Northbound track was built in 1924 on stone piers, and was a replacement of an old bridge.
Both bridges contain identical 170' 8-panel riveted Warren Deck Trusses. The approach on the south side is 2 spans of deck girder on a steel tower, and on the north side, 3 spans of deck girder on a tower.
The Southbound track is unused currently. It was used at some point in the past. When I visited the bridge, it was a cold February morning.
The photo above is an overivew from the ice.
These Pictures Start at varying points in the Series, for the Pictures taken by others