This new line would be completed in a staggering 208 days, opening in early 1899. The line was owned by the D&SC (which was a subsidiary of Illinois Central).
The line was also the most significant branch off the D&SC mainline through Iowa.
The new line connected mainly rural areas, and crossed into Omaha on a swing bridge over the Missouri River.
This bridge was leased from the Omaha Bridge and Terminal Railway Company.
When completed, the line was regarded as a mainline, connecting Nebraska to Chicago. East of Tara, the line connected Waterloo, Dubuque and Chicago.
By 1947, the IC fully absorbed any remains of the Dubuque & Sioux City Railroad. IC became the sole operator and proprietor of this line.
In 1972, the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio merged with IC to form the Illinois Central Gulf.
In 1985, operations of the ICG western division (west from Chicago) was spun off into the Chicago Central and Pacific Railroad.
By 1996, the railroad was repurchased by Illinois Central. Canadian National Railway purchased Illinois Central in 1999, and continues to operate the line as the Omaha Subdivision.
Located west of Carnarvon and east of Kiron, this large through girder bridge crosses an unnamed creek.
Built in 1900, the bridge features a single through girder span, set onto concrete abutments. The bridge was originally constructed to cross the Boyer River, but a channelization in the late 1950s eliminated several crossings along this route.
This span is also a standard size for this route, installed when the route was constructed. Overall, the bridge appears to be in good condition, with little serious deterioration.
The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview.