logo

CN Bridge #225.2

Deck Girder Bridge over Tributary of Spring Branch
Near Delaware, Delaware County, Iowa

Click the Photo Above to See All Photos of This Bridge!
Name CN Bridge #225.2
Built By Illinois Central Railroad
Contractor American Bridge Works of Chicago
Currently Owned By Canadian National Railway
Length 128 Feet Total, 75 Foot Largest Span
Width 1 Track
Height Above Ground 20 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Type Deck Plate Girder and Trestle
Substructure Type Steel and Timber Pile
Date Built 1899, Relocated Here 1955
Traffic Count 7 Trains/Day (Estimated)
Current Status In Use
CN Bridge Number 225.2
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date September 2017
In 1857, the Dubuque and Pacific Railroad began construction on a 29 mile line extending from Dubuque to Dyersville, Iowa.
By 1860, the line would receive another 49 mile extension to Jessup, Iowa.
At the end of 1860, the D&P would be purchased by the Dubuque and Sioux City Railroad, which desired to build west to Sioux City.
In 1861, the route would be extended to Cedar Falls, where it would terminate.

The D&SC would continue building west in 1866.
Beginning in 1867, the Illinois Central leased the D&SC. The route would be able to provide a mainline into Iowa for the company.
Relatively uncommon in the modern world of railroading, the Illinois Central did not fully consume the D&SC until 1946. Despite this, virtually every project was Illinois Central funded until then.
Immediately after this, the IC went to work rebuilding numerous older truss bridges along the line. This route served as the western mainline for the Illinois Central, which had grown to be considerable in size.
In 1972, the IC merged with the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad to form the Illinois Central Gulf. The ICG dissolved back into the Illinois Central in 1988.

The entire western main line and associated branch lines of the IC were sold to a railroad known as the Chicago Central and Pacific Railroad in 1985.
Just 11 years later, the route would again be purchased by Illinois Central. By 1999, the Illinois Central was purchased by Canadian National.
In 2017, Canadian National operates the Cedar Falls-Fort Dodge segment of this line as the Waterloo Subdivision.
04/16/19


This standard deck girder bridge crosses a branch of Spring Branch between Manchester and Delaware.
Originally constructed in 1899, the deck girder was relocated to this location in 1955 to replace an older stone arch. The bridge is set onto concrete pile piers and approached by trestle spans.
It is believed the former stone arch bridge likely collapsed from flooding. It is unknown where the girder was relocated from, but it is believed its original location likely was along the Dubuque-Omaha line in Iowa.
Overall, the bridge remains in very good condition.

The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview of the bridge.

Citations

Source Type

Source

Build Date American Bridge Works plaque
Contractor American Bridge Works plaque
Railroad Line History Source ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele



Widget is loading comments...



© Copyright 2010- John Marvig and Contributors. All Rights Reserved