The pin connected bridge is highly decorative. It was a typical style by the Keystone Bridge Company, founded by Andrew Carnegie, a steel magnate.
One other span is located in Sageville, and is the Heritage Trail Truss west of Dubuque, and was relocated without restoration in 1992. Two spans are together in Vicksburg, Mississippi as well.
This span is famous, and rightfully so, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The span was relocated to Bergfeld pond, a park in an industrial area to the west of Dubuque, where it would be restored and placed onto concrete abutments.
The bridge is currently a fishing pier/observation deck, and wonderfully preserved.
These spans were built for an approach to the crossing of the Mississippi River in Dubuque by Illinois Central Railroad. These spans were filled and sold at various times. This one was sold to Dubuque County in 1898, and may have been the first one built.
The relocation history of the bridge is not uncommon for railroads. When the span was sold in 1890, it was likely in very good condition.
Filling in of the approach spans began in 1890, and this one was finally sold in 1898, meaning it was likely the final span sold.
The author has rated this bridge as being nationally significant; the highest rating; due to the extensive relocation history, 1872 build date and beautiful preservation.
The photo above is an overview of the bridge. The bridge can be accessed from the park.