They formed the subsidiary Worthington & Sioux Falls Railway to construct the approximately 50 mile segment of main line from Agate Junction (near Worthington) to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
It opened to Adrian, Minnesota by 1875, Luverne, Minnesota in 1876 and Sioux Falls in 1878.
In 1879, it would be continued west by the Chicago, St. Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railway, reaching Mitchell by 1882.
In 1882, the CStPM&O became a subsidiary of the Chicago & North Western Railway.
The Chicago & North Western operated this line as a branch line, until 1888, when it abandoned the whole Agate Junction to Mitchell segment.
The Buffalo Ridge Railroad Authority stepped in and purchased the line from Buffalo Ridge, through Sioux Falls to Agate the same year.
In 2015, the Minnesota Southern operates from Valley Junction to Agate, where it meets a Union Pacific mainline.
In addition, the Ellis & Eastern Railway serves from Brandon to Sioux Falls.
This bridge is one of only a few multi-span railroad truss spans in South Dakota.
This bridge is extremely old for the area, being built in 1893.
The bridge features stone piers and wooden pile trestles for approaches. The bridge is also a standard quadrangular lattice truss, common for C&NW bridges.
The piers are currently held together by tight metal bands and vertical H-Piles.
The photo above is an overview looking north.
Big Sioux River Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||Beadle Park Rail Bridge (E)|
|Downstream||Riverview Hotel Trail Bridge|