The line terminated in Sioux Falls until 1893, when the Great Northern Railway continued its expansion towards Yankton, South Dakota; where it met the Chicago & North Western.
The line effectively served as a mainline between the Twin Ports of Duluth and Superior and Sioux Falls, when connected with its connections.
By 1970, the Great Northern merged with rival Northern Pacific and Chicago, Burlington & Quincy to form Burlington Northern Railway.
By the mid-1970s, the trans-Minnesota saw a significant drop in traffic. Along with cutting significant portions of the line in Minnesota, Burlington Northern also took out Yankton to Sioux Falls in 1981.
In 1996, the Burlington Northern merged with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form BNSF Railway, the current operators of the line from Garretson to Sioux Falls, now the Corson Subdivision.
This bridge is a rather basic crossing of the Big Sioux River, and one of the least interesting in Sioux Falls.
It consists of 8 Deck Girder spans, with one concrete slab precast span added in 2006 to replace a shorter deck girder.
The substructures are alternating concrete and stone piers, with concrete abutments. The stone piers are from a former truss bridge.
The photo above is an overview.
Big Sioux River Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||Riverdale Park Trail Bridge|
|Downstream||Beadle Park Rail Bridge (W)/td>|