They formed the subsidiary Worthington & Sioux Falls Railway to construct the approximately 50 mile segment of main line from Agate Junction (near Worthington) to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
It opened to Adrian, Minnesota by 1875, Luverne, Minnesota in 1876 and Sioux Falls in 1878.
In 1879, it would be continued west by the Chicago, St. Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railway, reaching Mitchell by 1882.
In 1882, the CStPM&O became a subsidiary of the Chicago & North Western Railway.
The Chicago & North Western operated this line as a branch line, until 1888, when it abandoned the whole Agate Junction to Mitchell segment.
The Buffalo Ridge Railroad Authority stepped in and purchased the line from Buffalo Ridge, through Sioux Falls to Agate the same year.
In 2015, the Minnesota Southern operates from Valley Junction to Agate, where it meets a Union Pacific mainline.
In addition, the Ellis & Eastern Railway serves from Brandon to Sioux Falls.
This bridge lies at the back of McHardy Park in the Sioux Falls suburb of Brandon.
The truss was built in 1891, according to an 1891 Annual Report of the Chicago, Minneapolis St. Paul & Omaha Railway.
The bridge is currently disused.
The bridge sits on stone piers, and is approached by trestle on either side.
The photo above is an overview during the sunrise of a very cold December morning.
Split Rock Railroad Bridges
|Upstream||Corson Rail Bridge|
|Downstream||Confluence With Big Sioux River|