By 1870, the line would be completed to East Plattsmouth, Iowa. This location was set on the Missouri River.
Just across the river, in Plattsmouth, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad of Nebraska continued building west.
The railroad reached Ashland by 1870, and Lincoln later that year. The expansion would continue west, ultimately reaching Denver.
The lines were purchased by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1875. To the east, the Iowa line connected to Chicago, via Burlington.
By 1880, the CB&Q completed a large bridge across the Missouri River at Plattsmouth, connecting the two lines.
Throughout the early 20th century, the line would be upgraded. In Iowa, many sections were constructed double track between Creston and Pacific Junction.
In Nebraska, the Ashland to Lincoln section was constructed double track in 1910.
The line served as a broader connection, connecting Denver and Chicago.
By 1970, the CB&Q merged with Great Northern and Northern Pacific to form Burlington Northern.
In 1996, BN merged with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe to form BNSF Railway, who currently owns this line.
Presently, the Creston to Lincoln section is known as the Creston Subdivision, and sees a steady traffic base.
This large Baltimore Through Truss Bridge is one of two truss bridges over Salt Creek near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Campus.
This bridge, and the Union Pacific Bridge sit right behind the baseball fields for the college.
The bridge here was built in 1913, likely to replace a similar structure.
The line here was severed in the early 2000s, as the University campus expanded. The area surrounding here was once filled with rail yards, and this line was a connection between two yards.
The bridge is a single, 6 panel riveted Baltimore Through Truss. It is approached by trestle and is set upon wooden substructures.
A partially removed plate sits on the southeast endpost.
It is hoped that this bridge can be reused for pedestrian traffic in the coming years.
The photo above is an overview.