logo

Abandoned 7th Street Bridge (Fort Dodge)

Abandoned Deck Plate Girder Bridge over 7th Street
Fort Dodge, Webster County, Iowa

Click the Photo Above to See All Photos of This Bridge!
Name Abandoned 7th Street Bridge (Fort Dodge)
Built By Illinois Central Railroad
Contractor Unknown
Currently Owned By Canadian National Railway
Length 139 Feet Formerly, 48 Foot Remaining Span
Width 1 Track
Height Above Ground 12 Feet (Estimated)
Superstructure Type Deck Plate Girder
Substructure Type Concrete
Date Built 1919
Traffic Count 0 Trains/Day (Bridge is Abandoned)
Current Status Abandoned and Partially Removed
IC Bridge Number 324.77N
Significance Local Significance
Documentation Date March 2013 (Photo 1), April 2017 (Photos 2-6)
In 1866, the Dubuque and Sioux City Railroad began expanding their existing mainline west, from Cedar Falls to Iowa Falls.
This route connected to Dubuque Chicago on the east, making it an important route. In 1867, Illinois Central began to lease the D&SC.

In 1869, the Iowa Falls and Sioux City Railroad continued construction west, reaching Sioux City by the end of 1870.
This new construction was in response to a fear by the directors of the D&SC that the Illinois Central would lose interest in the company. Reaching Sioux City promised a large volume of traffic into Chicago.
The route helped develop several major Iowa towns, including Iowa Falls, Fort Dodge and Cherokee.

In 1888, the IF&SC was merged into the D&SC. By 1900, new connections would be open to Omaha, Sioux Falls and Onawa.

Relatively uncommon in the modern world of railroading, the Illinois Central did not fully consume the D&SC until 1946. Despite this, virtually every project was Illinois Central funded until then.
Immediately after this, the IC went to work rebuilding numerous older truss bridges along the line. This route served as the western mainline for the Illinois Central, which had grown to be considerable in size.
In 1972, the IC merged with the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad to form the Illinois Central Gulf. The ICG dissolved back into the Illinois Central in 1988.

The entire western main line and associated branch lines of the IC were sold to a railroad known as the Chicago Central and Pacific Railroad in 1985.
Just 11 years later, the route would again be purchased by Illinois Central. By 1999, the Illinois Central was purchased by Canadian National.
In 2017, Canadian National operates the Cedar Falls-Fort Dodge segment of this line as the Waterloo Subdivision.
04/16/19


This simple deck girder bridge once carried a spur line of the Illinois Central over the 7th Street Subway.
The bridge was built in 1919, and once had a wooden trestle approach. It is unknown when the approaches were removed.
Abandonment for the bridge came at an unknown date, likely around 1970.
Currently, all that remains is a small deck girder set onto concrete piers. The bridge sits near Kenyon Road.

The author has ranked this bridge as being locally significant, due to the common design.
The photo above is an overview. The bridge can be accessed from the road below.

Citations

Source Type

Source

Build Date 1973 Illinois Central Track Profile
Railroad Line History Source ICC Valuation Information, Compiled by Richard S. Steele



Widget is loading comments...



© Copyright 2010- John Marvig and Contributors. All Rights Reserved